Are you looking for the best hair mask for damaged hair? We have a comprehensive insight on what they are, some of the best brands, homemade hair mask for damaged hair (DIY for those who do not want to buy them), and much more.
Table of Content
What Are Hair Masks – Meaning
Hair masks are products used to provide nourishment, improve health, and/or treat dry and damaged hair. Unlike hair conditioners (help in detangling and hydrating) which are used quite regularly , these masks are used less often, unless you have dry and severely damaged hair i.e. “If your hair is very damaged, a mask should be used regularly to treat your hair’s dry, damaged or fragile condition” (Garnier.com.au). It is unfortunate that most people imagine these masks are for the very rich or those born with a silver spoon in your mouth, yet they are some of the best products for damaged hair you can buy or even make some at home. The homemade ones will obviously be very affordable.
Best Hair Mask for Damaged Hair – Top Brands
Before we look at homemade hair mask for damaged hair, we should begin by looking at some of the best brands you can buy. These are for those who might not have the time to make their own at home or have the money to buy them. So what are some of the best hair masks for damaged hair?
- Kerastase Masquintense for Dry Hair
- Aussie 3-Minute Miracle
- TRESemmé Nourishing Rituals Rejuvenating Mud Masque
- Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus
- Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair Deep Repairing Mask
We did not exhaust the list, as you will still find other equally good brands in the market. These are just some of the hair masks for damaged hair that have been well rated. In fact, try searching for “best hair mask for dry damaged hair” or simply “dry hair masks” since they too can help prevent any further damage.
Homemade Hair Mask for Damaged Hair – DIY Masks
For those who want to buy them, there are many manufacturers of such masks such as Kerastase (as we have already seen) who for instance makes good ones but they will cost you a fortune i.e. over $50, which you might not be having.
Instead of buying any of the above best hair mask for damaged hair, you can try the various homemade hair masks for damaged hair. They will just work effectively as the ones you have purchased yet they are very affordable. One obvious advantage of going for the homemade recipes is that they are free of any harmful chemicals. So what are some of these popular ones that work effectively?
Egg + Yogurt Masks
Eggs are often used in various hair treatments because of their high protein and fats content that provide the required nourishment and moisture. The “whites contain bacteria eating enzymes that cleanse hair and scalp from unwanted oils” [urban Bash Babes]. The yolk will be used to moisturize brittle and dry hair, whites for treating oily hair and the whole egg will be good for general conditioning. On the other hand, yogurt is good for reversing any dirt build up or pollution. It will also be good treating hair breakage. The lactic acid easily gets rid of the dirt while the fat in milk will be a good source of moisture. This makes it a good ingredient for any of the best hair masks for damaged hair. If you want to try it, this damaged hair mask will work effectively. To prepare it, since it is for dry and damaged hair, you need only the yolk. Get one Egg yolk + six tbspns of natural and plain yogurt. Coat your hair this mixture, cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for about a half an hour. Afterwards, rinse it off using cool water as warm water might cook it or make it stick.
Egg + Avocado + Olive Oil
Going on with our discussion on homemade hair masks for damaged hair, this combination is something you need to give a try. To prepare it, you will need two egg yolks + two tspns extra virgin olive oil + ½ ripe avocado. Blend the mixture thoroughly before using it to coat your hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 20 minutes before you can shampoo and condition it as usual. The fatty acids in avocado will help in moisturizing your hair.
Coconut Milk+ Avocado + Olive Oil
Mash a ripe avocado and add ½ a cup of coconut milk and 2 tspns of olive oil (extra virgin). This mixture is used after shampooing your hair and it should be coated on your scalp and hair, before you can wear a shower cap for at least 20 minutes. Afterwards, rinse it off with your conditioner only. Why should you try it? This homemade hair mask for damaged hair is highly recommended because, coconut oil, being high in fats and proteins will moisturize and strengthen your hair. It will also reduce shedding, breakages, get rid of dermatitis and even dandruff. Some sources report this product to be good for hair growth.
Banana + Honey Mask
Another best homemade hair mask for damaged hair is the banana mask. You need one banana (preferably ripe) + tbsp of honey. Blend the mixture before applying it on your hair. Leave the mixture for about 20 minutes, rinse it off before you shampoo and condition as you do routinely. The list of homemade hair masks for dry damaged hair seem endless, others you can try include banana + olive mask, Egg + Mayonnaise Mask, among many others. Not to overemphasis, these are not the only homemade best hair masks for dry damaged hair, there are more you can go for. Seek for more recipes online, especially those that will utilize the raw materials you might be having. I hope this DIY hair masks for damaged hair part will be very helpful for those who might not be having the much money to spend on these best products for damaged hair that are very necessary. However, if you cannot make your own masks, you should consider buying any of the best hair mask for damaged hair.
Further Suggested Readings
- Best Conditioner for Damaged Hair – Leave-in, Deep, Intense and Drugstore
- Best Heat Damaged Hair Repair Treatments and Fixes
- Best Hair Masks for Damaged Hair Including Homemade
- Best Treatments for Damaged Hair – Shampoos, Conditioners & Serums
- Home Remedies for Damaged Hair – Olive, Egg, Almond & Lemon
- Dry Hair Causes – Dry Brittle, Extremely, Dry Damaged and Dry Ends
- Dry Brittle Hair- Causes, How to Treat & Home Remedies
- Best and Latest Receding Hairline Haircuts and Hairstyles for Men and Women
- Receding Hairline – Ways to Prevent, Regrow and Stop Receding Hairline
- Receding Hairline Treatment, Cures and How to Regrow Receding Hair
- Receding Hair in Women Causes, Treatment, Home Remedies and How to Hide It
- Receding Hairline in Men & Teenagers – Meaning, Causes and Signs
- Which Are the Best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- What Are the Best Ways of Preventing Hair Breakage Menace?
- Best Hair Breakage Treatments – How to Fix or Repair Breaking Hair
- Natural Hair Breakage – Causes, Prevention and How to Stop Natural Hair Breaking
- Broken Hair – How to Repair or Fix Broken Hair
- Hair Breakage – Meaning, Best Products and African American Hair Breaking
- How do You Stop Hair Breakages Including Severe, Extreme and African American?
- What Causes Hair Breakages – Black, Crown Hair, Reasons for Breaking Hair