What are natural hair breakages or do you have natural hair but you still experience breakages? It could be the way you care of it or other reasons. Learn more on natural hair breakages, what causes them, how to how to stop natural hair breakage and some natural best treatment for hair breakage.
Table of Content
What Causes Natural Hair Breakages
Before we discuss what causes of natural hair breakage, you need to understand what it is in the first place. According to Wikipedia, natural hair refers to “hair that is unadorned and uncolored, virgin non-chemically relaxed or otherwise in its natural state”. When the natural hair is African, it is known as Afro-textured hair.
With a clear understanding of what natural hair is, we will quickly mention the causes of natural hair breakages before we discuss how to stop natural hair breakage where will also briefly mention some of the common natural hair breakage treatments that can help you deal with this menace.
- Use of wrong accessories such as using rubber bands at the same point, sharp edged comb or one that is not wide toothed.
- Hot processing i.e. for instance, using blow dryers to straighten it.
- Poor diet lacking some vital minerals, vitamins and proteins
- Rapid weight loss
- Hormonal imbalances especially during pregnancy
- Brushing your hair while it is still wet
- Pulling it too much, as you plaiting it, or some hairstyles such as ponytail might encourage frontal hair breakage.
There are many other causes of natural hair breakages, which include diseases and conditions, stress, insufficient moistures, exposure to sun light especially during summer, use of cotton pillows, etc. See more details on causes of hair breakage.
How to Stop Natural Hair Breakage or Prevent Natural Hair Breaking
The ways on how to stop natural hair breakage or prevent natural hair breaking are more or less the same as those for reducing this breakage for any type of hair. Some of the common ones include:
- Reduce the use of blow dryer, flat irons, etc
- Stick to safe hair styling – those that exert least pressure to your hair
- Carefully select your accessories including hair bands and combs
- Do not mess with your hormones and treat any underlying disease that might be making your natural hair to break.
- Eat good diet rich in proteins, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids, biotin, vitamins, beta-carotene, etc. and supplements where you cannot get sufficient nutrients.
- Avoid rubbing your hair to make it dry using your towel and avoid using chlorinated water
- Cover your hair with a silk sleeping net and use silk pillows instead of cotton.
- Natural hair breakage ends i.e. split ends can cause further hair breakage. Ensure you trim or cut them off after every three months.
- Go for natural products only i.e. shampoo, conditioners, etc since they do not contain harsh chemicals that might harm your hair.
This is only the tip of the iceberg. To get details, see how to stop hair breakage as well as how to prevent this breakage.
Best Natural Hair Breakage Treatment – Natural Treatment for Hair Breakage
Since you have natural hair, it is advisable to stick to natural treatments for hair breakage only. Of course, if you are suffering from an underlying disease, you can go treatment before you turn to the natural remedies. Some of the best natural hair breakage treatments include the following:
- Use natural hair breakage products such as shampoos, conditioners, serums, detangling sprays and leave in treatments.
- Try protein treatments for hair that breaks
- If it is caused by an underlying disease, try over the counter medications such as Retin-A, Rogaine as well as prescribed ones if your dermatologist recommends any.
- Always ensure you clean your hair at least once a week using gentle natural shampoo. When dirt accumulates in your hair, they can cause breakage.
This is not all. See best treatments for hair breakage for a depth coverage and more ways to keep breakage at bay.
Furthermore, try home hair breakage remedies such as egg treatment, hot oil treatment, coconut oil wash, avocado + banana + almond oil treatment, baking soda, onion juice, aloe vera, olive oil + mayonnaise + vinegar etc. Get details on how to go about each of these treatments by seeing hair remedies for hair breakages.
Further Suggested Readings
- Which Are the Best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- What Are the Best Ways of Preventing Hair Breakage Menace?
- Best Hair Breakage Treatments – How to Fix or Repair Breaking Hair
- Broken Hair – How to Repair or Fix Broken Hair
- Hair Breakage – Meaning, Best Products and African American Hair Breaking
- How do You Stop Hair Breakages Including Severe, Extreme and African American?
- What Causes Hair Breakages – Black, Crown Hair, Reasons for Breaking Hair
- Best and Latest Receding Hairline Haircuts and Hairstyles for Men and Women
- Receding Hairline – Ways to Prevent, Regrow and Stop Receding Hairline
- Receding Hairline Treatment, Cures and How to Regrow Receding Hair
- Receding Hair in Women Causes, Treatment, Home Remedies and How to Hide It
- Receding Hairline in Men & Teenagers – Meaning, Causes and Signs
- Best Conditioner for Damaged Hair – Leave-in, Deep, Intense and Drugstore
- Best Heat Damaged Hair Repair Treatments and Fixes
- Best Hair Masks for Damaged Hair Including Homemade
- Best Treatments for Damaged Hair – Shampoos, Conditioners & Serums
- Home Remedies for Damaged Hair – Olive, Egg, Almond & Lemon
- Dry Hair Causes – Dry Brittle, Extremely, Dry Damaged and Dry Ends
- Dry Brittle Hair- Causes, How to Treat & Home Remedies