Is receding hairline in women a reality or does it occurs only in men? What are the women receded hair line causes and/or what are the good female receding hair treatments can you opt for? Learn more on women frontal fibrosing alopecia, causes, prevention, treatment and much more.
Table of Content
- What is Receding Hairline in Women?
- Effects of Receding Hairline Women
- Causes of Receded Hairline in Women
- Symptoms, Signs and Diagnosis of Receding Hairline in Women
- Female Receding Hairline Treatment
- Home Remedies, Prevention and Stopping Receding Hair Line
- How to Hide Receding Hairline Women
What is Receding Hairline in Women?
Receding hairline in women otherwise known as frontal fibrosing alopecia can be seen as a condition where a woman’s hair line recedes and in some extreme cases, for up to 5 inches. It mostly, affects all around the scalp, forming a band like pattern of hair loss. Although this condition is rare in women and much common in men, it does happen to women too.
Unlike in receding hairline men, in women, it hardly begins while they are teens as it is prevalent in women who are aged between 30 to 60 years but especially those in their post menopausal. However, although rare, it can affect young girls as young as 19 years old
When you have this condition, your hairline will begin thinning and afterwards, your follicles will cease growing hair. However, women are likely to suffer from this condition aftermenopause, especially, when it is connected to hormonal changes.
Effects of Receding Hairline Women
Just as it does in men, a receding hairline in women can cause many psychological problems that can be very overwhelming and leave someone feeling hopeless and helpless. Some women will lose their self esteem, isolate themselves, lose confidence or suffer from emotional issues. In some extreme cases, depression and anxiety might result.
Hair is very important to every woman and its loss will definitely cause much stress. As already seen on causes of receded hairline, stress is one of them. This means you are likely to worsen it even more. Some women will want to hide receding hairline using wigs, scarves, hats and wraps.
However, if you have it, not all is lost, female receding hairline can be dealt with using some of the female receding hairline treatment we are going to discuss as well as many others we will mention as we cover comprehensively on both how to stop receding hair line as well as how to treat receding hairline.
Causes of Receded Hairline in Women
There are a number of causes of women receding hairline. It is good to ensure you have seen a dermatologist or doctor to help you identify what is causing it in your cases. Among the common receding hairline women causes, include the following:
- Hormonal imbalances (this is particularly vivid during pregnancy).
- Ovarian Tumors
- Adrenal gland tumors
- Autoimmune disorders where the body destroys hair follicles.
- Alopecia Areata
- Excessive processing of hair
- Excessive pulling of hair
- Infectious diseases such as eczema, acne and fungal infections
- Trauma, especially burns on your hairline might make your hair never to grow back.
- Lowe levels of estrogen has been found to accelerate the problem
- High testosterone and/or DHEA
- Birth control pill (they deplete zinc, which is essential in hair growth, and are high in male hormones).
These are some of the causes of women receding hairline. Some sources such as the American Academy of Dermatologists reports that the receding hairline women causes are not known.
Symptoms, Signs and Diagnosis of Receding Hairline in Women
When you are suffering from particularly frontal fibrosing alopecia, expect to have a scarred strip that could have inflamed and reddened hair follicles. It is very easy to confuse this problem with female pattern hair loss and traction alopecia. Furthermore, although it is a form of scaring alopecia, it should not be confused with folliculitis or discoid lupus erythematosus.
To help know if the receded hairline in women is caused by hormonal imbalances, professional healthcare experts usually measure levels of luteinizing hormone, testosterone, follicular stimulating hormone, prolactin, androstenedione and DHEA. Serum ferritin, Serum Iron and Iron binding capacity tests are also done to know if the woman might be anemic as well as total blood count. Finally, thyroid-stimulating hormone study is also important in knowing if any thyroid glands dysfunction could be causing the hair line that is receding.
Female Receding Hairline Treatment
On female receding hairline treatment, various approaches are used depending on what things have been determined to be the receding hairline women causes. Early diagnosis and treatment can help you stop further hair loss and help regrow more hairs where not all has been lost. Some of the common treatments for receding hairline on women include the following:
Hormone Therapy – If hormonal imbalances are behind the loss of hair or receding hair line, them hormonal therapy is recommended to help return it to normal.
Use of Levothyroxine Medications – If you have thyroid problems that result to receded hairlines in women, you will be given Levothyroxine, which is a thyroid hormone pill that will deal with hypothyroidism that might cause hair loss and receding hair line.
Minoxidil and Propecia – These two medications can help in slowing down hair loss. Ensure you buy Minoxidil for women. Use them after you know their interactions and side effects as not everyone can use them. Minoxidil has been found to help in vertex and crown hair regrowth. However, it cannot grow hair on a scalp but does help in slowing down further hair loss.
Hair Transplant – if not all the treatments seem to work, you can go for hair transplant. Your health care provides will assess and let you know if hair transplants will be of help.
Hair Strengthening Conditioners and Shampoos – to help reduce recession of hairline, ensure you go for anti- hair fall conditioners and shampoos such as Nature’s Gate Biotin Shampoo that helps weak and thinning hair. Strengthening hair care products can help in nourish your hair roots, promote new growth and fortifying your hair shaft to make it strong. You can also use Hair Strengthening Conditioner Lavender to help make your hair stronger.
Home Remedies, Prevention and Stopping Receding Hair Line
Other than opting for the above ways on how to treat receding hairline in women, one should strive to ensure it does not occur in the first place. Some of the common ways you can opt for include the following:
- Stop using harsh chemicals that can affect your hair including hair dyes, bleaches, tints and chemical straighteners. As the American Academy of Family Physicians notes, “…they may cause inflammation of the hair follicle, which can result in scarring and hair loss.”
- Minimize the use of curling irons and excessive blow drying your hair as this can cause hair loss.
- Stop hair pulling often caused by anxiety, boredom and nervousness
- Avoid making your hair too tight quite often as this can lead to hairline recession.
- Massage your hair with oil before going to bed and wash it in the morning when you wake up and comb while it is still wet to reduce breakages. This is to help increase blood circulation to the scalp. Furthermore, combine about 10 drops of sage and rosemary essential oils and use it. You can also use olive oil. Carrot oil is also good.
- You can also brush your hair to increase blood flow to the scalp. Do this for about 3 minutes. It also helps in sebum distribution.
- Avoid wearing perm as it can weaken your hair and make your hair line to recede.
- Use fortifying shampoo to wash your hair at least 3 times in a week. Ensure that during each wash you massage the shampoo well into your scalp and take a few minutes before rinsing it off.
How to Hide Receding Hairline Women
While following the above ways for female receding hairline treatment, you should ensure you have tried some of the recommended ways to hide your receding hairline.
- Part your hair and let it naturally fall on your face. Avoid puling your hair back as it wills instead emphasis it.
- The other way to hide a receding hairline in women is avoiding taut ponytails or buns (although they help in lifting your face). Go for lose and messy traditional ponytail, which will ensure a healthy scalp and hairline.
- Use bangs to hide balding or thinning hairline. Blunt and straight bangs i.e. haircuts just above your face to cover forehead. You can also try side swept bangs as they can still hide your hairline.
- According to WebMD, “…weaves may increase the risk of developing an irreversible form of scarring hair loss…” Instead, go for wigs that are made from women hair that can be washed, flat ironed, curled, etc.
- Try a shorter hair cut that will reduce the contract between the rest of your hair and your hairline that is receding.
We have discussed in details what receding hair line on women is, female receding hairline treatment and its causes. Some of the above ways of preventing this scaring condition will prove very helpful if they are followed keenly. You have also learnt ways on how to hide receding hairline in women.
Further Suggested Readings
- Best and Latest Receding Hairline Haircuts and Hairstyles for Men and Women
- Receding Hairline – Ways to Prevent, Regrow and Stop Receding Hairline
- Receding Hairline Treatment, Cures and How to Regrow Receding Hair
- Receding Hairline in Men & Teenagers – Meaning, Causes and Signs
- Best Conditioner for Damaged Hair – Leave-in, Deep, Intense and Drugstore
- Best Heat Damaged Hair Repair Treatments and Fixes
- Best Hair Masks for Damaged Hair Including Homemade
- Best Treatments for Damaged Hair – Shampoos, Conditioners & Serums
- Home Remedies for Damaged Hair – Olive, Egg, Almond & Lemon
- Dry Hair Causes – Dry Brittle, Extremely, Dry Damaged and Dry Ends
- Dry Brittle Hair- Causes, How to Treat & Home Remedies
- Which Are the Best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage?
- What Are the Best Ways of Preventing Hair Breakage Menace?
- Best Hair Breakage Treatments – How to Fix or Repair Breaking Hair
- Natural Hair Breakage – Causes, Prevention and How to Stop Natural Hair Breaking
- Broken Hair – How to Repair or Fix Broken Hair
- Hair Breakage – Meaning, Best Products and African American Hair Breaking
- How do You Stop Hair Breakages Including Severe, Extreme and African American?
- What Causes Hair Breakages – Black, Crown Hair, Reasons for Breaking Hair